Visual Basic Client Project: Vertikote Corp Limited
Vertikote is one of the largest industrial paint and powder coating operators in Australia.
They offer a complete range of coatings and textures for commercial and domestic applications.
Programming Project Period:
April 2007 to December 2009
Programming Job Description:
Microsoft Access Database and Visual Basic Programmer.
VB Programming Duties:
Stabilising, enhancing and maintaining the PCS Administration database Application – consisting of over 45,000 lines of code.
Upgraded the old, slow and error prone PCS Application into a modern, solid and efficient Access database Application:
- Created a test environment to emulate the PCS Application.
- Using Terminal Services, created a test environment on the Server.
- Installed the PCS Application using Access 97, and then converted the databases to Access 2003.
- Upgraded the linkage of the Sybiz (FoxPro database) from ISAM to ODBC.
- Analysis of the Access database identified over 30,000 issues. Resolved all major problems.
- Created an Error handling module, recording error details to a log file and database.
- Added error handling to each procedure in all Forms and Reports. All "Resume Next" statements replaced with error handling. Ensured that all Variables are typecast. Eliminated Variant variables.
- Created an ADO module, to handle Database access.
- Upgraded Access 2 and VB5 functions to VB6. Removed all Access 95 constructs and macros.
- Created a data driven Menu Application.
- Added Microsoft Access and User security to the Access database.
- Decompiled the PCS database, reducing the size by 60%.
- Added a procedure to calculate the number of workdays in a period, taking into account weekends and holidays.
- Created a Form and the logic to Re-link to any Back-End database. Created a Start up Form that controls the Back-End Re-linking.
- Identified the sources of performance issues.
- Added a procedure for the automation of Faxes to clients.