Visual Basic Client Project: Essential Software
Essential Software is a computer software company that provides computer Application consultancy and software.
The company's expertise lies in writing Applications using Microsoft Visual Basic, Oracle and SQL Server databases.
Programming Project Period:
December 2000 to March 2001
Programming Job Description:
Rewriting a large 3 tier Client/Server database Hotel Reservation Application.
VB Programming Duties:
- Support of the "BackOffice" for a large, 3 Tier, Travel Agency Client/Server Application. This involved mainly the creation of a sub-system dealing with Transfers from Hotels, Airports and Wharves. The Transfer routine was written in Microsoft Visual Basic 6 using ADO to access Microsoft SQL Server Databases. It comprised incomplete and un-debugged programs with little or no documentation.
- Provide technical Windows NT and Component Object Module (COM) support to the staff in dealing with multiple versions of DLLs and ActiveX controls.
- Enhanced the Security DLL to allow User control at Form level. Set up maintenance routines to maintain the Security system and the additional Microsoft SQL Server Database Tables.
- Created a Message Queuing system that allowed triggered events to be forwarded to selected users.
- Analysed and redesigned the Microsoft SQL Server Database for the Hotel Transfers. Set up test data in the database.
- Rewrote a DLL that handled the various aspects of the Hotel Transfer system. The DLL comprised of:
- Numerous Forms with Tabs
- Many UserControls
- Various DLLs handling ADO, Buttons, etc
- Sheridan Grids and Combo Drop-downs
- Created a DropDown ActiveX control that allowed multiple item selection.